Underpinning the partnership between Allied Feather & Down and Montane is a shared commitment towards the responsible sourcing of down.
Montane is deeply committed to the preservation of the environment and the humane treatment of animals. We never use down from live-plucked or force-fed birds. We are proud to have become the first brand in the world to commit to Allied’s Responsible Down Standard (RDS) across our entire clothing range.
In parallel, Allied has always been at the forefront of promoting and implementing sustainable, ethical and environmentally friendly solutions. In 2008, Allied became the first down supplier to require signed certificates throughout its entire supply chain. To further increase the transparency and traceability Allied became a founding member of the RDS which launched in January 2014.
RDS is an all-encompassing third-party accredited industry source standard for down and is Montane’s mark to ensure that the down in our products does not come from animals that have been subjected to any unnecessary harm. With Allied RDS certified down in Montane down garments, you can be 100% sure that the fill has been sourced responsibly and ethically.
The Responsible Down Standard is owned by The Textile Exchange and is available to anyone. It is certified independently by Control Union. The Responsible Down Standard requires:
- that down comes from birds that are not subjected to live-plucking and force-feeding
- that the animals are not subjected to any unnecessary harm, as set out in the Five Freedoms of animal welfare below:
1. Freedom from hunger or thirst
2. Freedom from discomfort
3. Freedom from pain, injury or disease
4. Freedom to express most normal behaviour
5. Freedom from fear and distress
- that a traceability system be instituted to validate the source of the material
- that all aspects of the supply chain, from ‘hatchling to jacket’ meet set standards and criteria
The full RDS policy can be read here.